Spotlight on Savannah McCarthy
One of Scott Booth's close season signings was the 18-year old central defender Savannah McCarthy. Spotlight decided it was time to meet the Republic of Ireland U19 captain, to talk about how she's settled in at City, her footballing heroes and making her senior Irish debut at the 2016 Cyprus Cup.
1. How have you settled in at Glasgow City, and has the club's Irish contingent helped?
I have settled in really well and that's a big thanks to the players and management staff as they have being really good and helpful to me. Yes, it was a lot easier for me to come in knowing that I had some of my Irish teammates around me.
2. How did you start playing football?
I grew up with brothers who played it and got me involved since a young age so it pretty much started from there just playing football all the time in my estate until I joined my first club Listowel Celtic when I was 7.
3. Who were your footballing heroes growing up?
4. How are you feeling about your first season at City, and how was your debut against Inverness City in the League Cup?
Yes, I am really excited. Pre-season has been good so I was looking forward to finally getting games in each week. It was fantastic to play my first competitive game with the club, it was a great team performance by everyone and was great to kick off the cup with a win.
5. Do you set yourself personal goals at the beginning of a season?
My goal for this season is to help City to another treble and to play a big part in that.
6. Who are the three best players you've either played with or against?
Denise O’Sullivan, Niamh Fahey and Louise Quinn.
7. How was the experience of playing in the Cyprus Cup?
It was really good. It was an amazing experience and also pretty special for me as I made my senior international debut against Austria, and got first my first 2 starts against Italy and Hungary.
8. Name your dream five-a-side team that you could play in.
Grace Maloney, Ruesha Littlejohn, DeniseO’Sullivan, Clare Shine and of course myself.