City head into last 8 with 4-1 win over Aberdeen

Glasgow City continued their defence of the Scottish Cup with a 4-1 over Aberdeen in the Granite City. First half goals by Jo Love and Abbi Grant were added to after the break by Erin Cuthbert and Leanne Ross, before Aberdeen got a consolation strike from Captain Rachael Small.

Jo Love fired City ahead after 15 minutes heading home a Leanne Ross corner. Captain Leanne Ross had a good effort on the half volley smartly saved by Becky Flaherty in the Dons nets before another good move saw debutant Julie Fleeting fire over from 20 yards. 

O'Sullivan was net to try her luck mid way into the first half but after cutting in from the left to make room for the shot, fired over the bar from just outside the box.

Aberdeen squandered a great chance to get back into the game after Hannah Stewart showed terrific pace down the left before sending a low cross along the 6 yard box which Rachael Small could only push wide throwing herself full length at the ball to connect.

60 seconds later and the away side doubled their advantage as City forward Abbi Grant hit a fantastic shot from distance which sailed over Flaherty and into the back of the net.

After the break City continued to dominate proceedings as Love saw a snapshot go just wide of the target after another Ross corner. Erin Cuthbert, moved into a more advanced position for the second half, made it number 3, turning her marker well and shooting into the bottom corner past the outstretched palm of Flaherty.

Leanne Ross made it 4-0 with 83 minutes on the clock getting on the end of a well hit pass from O'Sullivan and coolly slotting past the Dons keeper.

However, with 6 minutes remaining, Scott Booth's side was denied a clean sheet as Small headed home a cross from the right hand side.

Commenting on the win and performance, Booth said, "I am pleased with certain parts of today's performance and the result overall was really good. It is difficult to come to Aberdeen and dominate the ball and create chances and credit to Aberdeen, even after we went 4-0 up, they hit us with a goal against which is the first goal we have lost since I am came to the club, so I am a little disappointed, but of course that is the standards we are trying to reach at this club.

"I am delighted we are through to the next round and getting four goals was great."

City are back in action next weekend, as they welcome Hibernian to the Excelsior Stadium in Airdrie for the much anticipated top of the table clash. Kick off is 2.30pm and entry is £5 adult, £3 concession and kids under 16 go free.