Glasgow City maintain 100% start to SWPL Season

Glasgow City maintained their 100% start to the season with a 2-1 victory over Celtic at K Park East Kilbride.

It was a far from vintage performance from the Champions, leaving Head Coach Eddie Wolecki Black pleased with the win, but expecting a lot more from his players next Sunday when the two sides meet again in the League Cup Semi-Final.

He said, "Obviously we are delighted to get the three points and the win but it was a game we made hard for ourselves. Losing the goal gave Celtic a wee bit of hope and a match which was in our total control became a little bit more difficult. However, we saw it out and I hope the girls are going to learn from this as the exact same thing happened against Aberdeen a few weeks ago. It will definitely be something we will look at and speak to the players about over the next few days.

"A big concern is the injury to Alyshia so we hope that turns out to be a minor thing. Obviously we play Celtic again next weekend in the Cup Semi-Final and I am very hopeful it will be a different City team they face that day. We will have a full week of training to prepare which will help as it wasn't easy playing Spartans midweek and then Celtic today, two potential top four sides within four days, so I am looking for a far better performance next week."

Glasgow City enjoyed the opening chances of this match on a wet and dreary day, with Hayley Lauder seeing her shot saved by Laura Hamilton in the Celtic nets after only 6 minutes. Brown and Grant both went close in particular before the unfortunate Emily McKerlie turned the ball into her own net after City's Erin Cuthbert fired a vicious cross along the Celtic 6 yard box.

Cuthbert was the victim of a number of heavy challenges during the match, with two Celtic players shown yellow for fouls on the City number 22, but credit to the young City midfielder, on each occasion she simply got up and got on with it.

City attacks grew in regularity as the half progressed as the away side forced a number of corners, but were unable to convert chances created. Laura Hamilton in the Celtic nets pulled off the save of the match denying a certain goal from City Captain Leanne Ross as she turned a net bound shot brilliantly around the post on 34 minutes.

Celtic pushed on the counter attack and forced their first corner on the 36th minute, with City clearing the danger.

As the half time whistle approached, Abbi Grant had a great strike cannon off the Celtic cross bar before City made it 2-0 after Lauder capitalised on an error from Hamilton. 

Celtic came more into the match in the second half, with McManus having their first effort on target on 52 minutes. City passed up on two good chances to extend their lead, but overall were not as dominant in the second period as they had been in the first.

Kirstin McGuire fired past City keeper Lee Alexander with less than 15 minutes remaining to give Celtic hope of a comeback, but they struggled to carve out any real goal scoring opportunities in the remaining final minutes. 

City introduced young striker Alyshia Walker with ten minutes to go, but the forward lasted only 4 minutes before having to go off injured after a heavy 50/50 collision with Celtic's Chloe Craig. After missing all of last season with a knee injury, everyone at Glasgow City hopes to see Walker back in action as soon as possible.

Glasgow City play again next Sunday when they take on Celtic in the League Cup Semi-Final. Kick off is 12pm at Ainslie Park, Spartans FC.

Full SWPL results:
Celtic 1-2 Glasgow City 
Stirling University 3-3 Hearts
Inverness 0-6 Rangers
Aberdeen 3-3 Hutchison Vale
Hibernian 7-2 Forfar Farmington
Hamilton Accies 0-2 Spartans

Image by Andy Buist.

Image by Andy Buist.

Image by Andy Buist

Image by Andy Buist