City return to domestic action with win over Aberdeen.

Glasgow City returned after a long 4 week break from domestic action with a 2-1 victory over Aberdeen in the Granite City.

Lauren McMurchie opened the scoring for City from the penalty spot after the Dons were found guilty of a hand ball in the box.

Hayley Lauder then doubled the away side’s advantage with a neat lob over Dons goalkeeper Rebecca Flaherty to give City a 2-0 lead at the break.

Aberdeen responded on 65 minutes when Susan Murray netted after a Dons free kick, leaving it a much tighter contest in the closing moments than City Head Coach Eddie Wolecki Black felt his side should have allowed.

He said. “The most pleasing aspect of today is that we returned home with the 3 points. The first half saw us dominate the game and we were well worthy of our 2-0 lead and ultimately our lead could and should have been greater. The second half saw a drop in our actions as the early kick off and the training load of the week began to take effect.  A free kick defended incorrectly saw the lead halved. A game that we had in total control became a more even contest. This is the situation when we fail to convert chances at vital times. We had a fabulous chance early in the second half to make it 3-0 and subsequently finish the game as a contest, our failure to capitalise was duly punished and we had to endure a difficult period. 
“As a manager there are certain things you cannot control, such as kick off times which ultimately lead to early rises. This means you depend upon players to be professional and look after their bodies to ensure they are fresh for games. Yesterday's game showed the importance of this and we can only hope the players take far more responsibility in their preparation for future matches.”

City are back in action this Sunday at home to Hutchison Vale in the League Cup. Kick off is 2.30pm at the Excelsior Stadium in Airdrie. Adults £5 and U16’s go free.

Photographs courtesy of Dom Flaherty

Photographs courtesy of Dom Flaherty